My name is Julie Gross and I am the mother of triplets who are currently 16 and preparing for college. Luckily for them (and me), I am the VP at College Financial Consultants and have developed an expertise of the college financial aid system and how the entire process works. I have noticed that there is a need for families to become involved in the college process much earlier so they have a better understanding of the options available to them. High schools are good at getting students prepared for the course work to be faced in college, however no one is preparing the parents for the road that lies ahead. College is an enormous investment and this is a family endeavor by all accounts.
Your College Warrior was born out of the obvious need for families to understand the breadth of the college process and to ease families into it. I have been working with families for the past seven years helping to secure financial aid for college and the one true consistency I have found is the shock of the complexity and the amount of effort that goes into preparing their child for college. Unfortunately, most families are hit with this bombshell in the senior year of high school, which makes for a very stressful, emotional and exhausting year. Because the college process has changed so much over the years, parents are simply not informed and therefore, completely unprepared. My hope is that Your College Warrior will bring families into the college realm earlier by informing them of all aspects of the college process.
In the years that I have worked with my clients nationally, I have had the good fortune of working side by side with the country’s leading college advisors, financial planners and tutors. While not every family has the ability to connect with these professionals, Your College Warrior can connect everyone so that all families have access to the professional advice these experts have to offer and a forum where questions can be answered. My goal is to provide knowledge to families so that you, parents and students, feel empowered entering this very exciting phase of life.
Features of Your College Warrior:
- Featured College: We will provide interesting facts about the featured college and our “grade” on how that college delivers with regard to financial assistance.
- Money Sense: This column will provide answers to financial questions you may be asking so that you can prepare yourself for maximum financial aid eligibility.
- Stay Current: We will address various topics of interest for families getting their kids ready for the college process.
- College Lists: Do you want to know which schools have great business programs and offer money? This column will give you 10 colleges each issue, offering many different special interests and majors…all of which will offer financial assistance.
- Word from the Wise: A column reserved for professionals, from college advisors to financial planners, to lend advice to Warriors like you!
- Facts: Because you can never have too many fun facts about colleges, admissions, campus life, etc.
- Resources: There are so many great sites out there to help you get the information you may be looking for…find the links here.
- Ask Me Anything: Warriors can email those pressing questions to me and I will do my best to get the most comprehensive answers for you.
July – Test-Optional colleges. What does this mean and how can it benefit your student?
August – Students with special interests. An issue specially designed for creative students and student athletes.
September – Scholarship issue. We have complied everything you need to know about scholarships!
October – Divorce issue – How to handle the college process if your divorced…all of the pros and cons.